MEDIA CONTACT: Ursula Miller, firstname.lastname@example.org, or 513-352-3417
Cincinnati - Construction related to the Cincinnati Streetcar route as well as Ohio Department of Transportation work to the Lytle Tunnel will take place this weekend, requiring the closure of several local roads downtown and I-71 south at the tunnel.
The map below shows detour routes for both projects from 7:00 p.m. Friday, June, 12 through 6:00 a.m. Monday, June 15. Detour signage will be posted to help guide motorists.
For the streetcar: Third Street will be closed between Main and Broadway from 7:00 p.m. Friday, June 12, till 6:00 a.m. Monday, June 15, so crews may install track on Main Street. One through lane of Main Street will remain open and local access to businesses, residences and parking will be maintained from Sycamore, as well as pedestrian access. Motorists traveling to Third Street will be detoured either north or south via Broadway, depending on their intended destination.
- For motorists heading north on Broadway, the detour will be west on Fourth, south on Walnut to Third Street.
- For motorists heading south on Broadway or exiting U.S. 50/Columbia Parkway, the detour will be south on Broadway, east on Pete Rose Way, south on Mehring Way, north on Joe Nuxhall/Main Street at The Banks.
Ohio Department of Transportation: Traffic Advisory
District 8 • Gary Middleton, P.E., Acting District Deputy Director
505 S. State Route 741
Lebanon, Ohio 45036
UPDATED June 11, 2015
Single lane closure of southbound Interstate 71 at Lytle Tunnel begins 7 p.m. on June 12
Complete southbound closure at 9 p.m.
Hamilton County (Thursday, June 11, 2015) – Bridge work will require a single lane closure of southbound I-71 at the Lytle Tunnel beginning at 7 p.m. Friday, June 12. A complete closure of southbound I-71 at this location will be begin at 9 p.m. All lanes will reopen by 6 a.m. Monday, June 15. The Third Street exit from I-71 south will also be closed during this time.
Crews will be performing bridge deck repairs on I-71 over Eggleston Avenue.
- Through traffic: I-71 south to westbound State Route 562/Norwood Lateral (Exit 7) to I-75 south (Exit 7).
- Local traffic: I-71 south to Reading/Gilbert exit (Exit 2) to Reading Rd. (south) to Central Parkway (west) to Race St. (south) to Third St. (west) to I-75 south.
- For motorists traveling to I-471 from I-71 south: use Reading/Gilbert exit (Exit 2) to Reading Rd. (south) to Central Parkway (west) to Sycamore St. (south) to 5th St. (east) to I-471.
The $30 million tunnel project will upgrade lighting, repair concrete and tiles, and modernize mechanical and ventilation systems. In addition cameras and a fire detection system will be installed to allow more efficient and safer response time to incidents within the tunnel.
The public can receive ongoing project status information by providing an email address to email@example.com or via the ODOT District 8 social media pages:
Lytle Tunnel carries I-71 under Lytle Park and Fourth and Fifth streets on the eastern edge of Cincinnati. The tunnel carries three lanes of northbound I-71 traffic, two lanes of southbound traffic and a single lane, southbound exit ramp to Third Street. The tunnel opened to traffic in 1970.
For more information contact: Brian Cunningham, Communications Manager, at (513) 933-6517, Sharon Smigielski, Public Information Officer, at (513) 933-6511, Liz Lyons, Public Information Specialist, at (513) 933-6534 or email D08.PIO@dot.ohio.gov