Thursday, Sept. 29, 2016
Media Contact: Ursula Miller
CINCINNATI – Crews doing $9.9 million in rehabilitation work to city streets have finished three of the eight target neighborhoods and are nearing completion on another three.
The final course of asphalt was applied this week and last to streets in Kennedy Heights, Madisonville and Pleasant Ridge. Crews will do finish work, such as line striping, next week.
Meanwhile, crews will begin paving streets in North Avondale, parts of Avondale and Evanston next week. Paving is on schedule to be complete in November. Paving will commence in Corryville and the rest of Avondale by mid-October. Crews are currently doing curb repairs and casting adjustments in those two neighborhoods.
In Northside, crews finished grinding and leveling this week and will begin curb and driveway repairs, and casting adjustments next week. Road surfaces are ground down and left intentionally rough to allow crews to prep the surface so the new pavement adheres. Curb repairs and casting adjustments are the last major steps before the final course of asphalt is applied.
Paving may begin in mid to late October in Northside, depending on the weather. It originally was scheduled for late November.
This rehab project is funded as part of the city’s Capital Acceleration Plan. It covers approximately 37 lane miles in eight neighborhoods in 2016. Combined with the annual street improvement program, outside grants and CAP, the city is investing approximately $172 million to rehabilitate or resurface more than half its 2,936 total lane miles in all 52 neighborhoods by June 30, 2021.
Please see below for a complete list of streets undergoing rehabilitation in 2016.
The type of work varies based on the condition of each street but generally includes:
- Grinding and paving
- Replacing curbs and curb ramps
- Repairing driveway aprons and sidewalks, as required
- Adjusting utility castings to grade
- Final surface coat of new pavement
- Line striping
Typical work hours are 7:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. Crews may work later into the evening and on Saturdays, if needed.
Rehab work takes about two months to complete per street. On most streets, at least two lanes will remain open to through traffic during repairs. Local access to residences and businesses will be available at all times.
All roads will be reopened to through traffic during non-work hours.
On-street parking may be prohibited, as needed, to accommodate crews. Signs will be posted in advance to allow motorists time to find alternate parking options. In most cases, these temporary restrictions will be in place for less than 24 hours and a street will be reopened by 6:00 p.m. Violators will be towed per city ordinance.
Look for updates early next month and later this fall.
For questions about the project, contact Dave Krusling, Supervising Engineer, Department of Transportation, at 513-352-3479 or email@example.com.
About the Capital Acceleration Plan (CAP)
The Capital Acceleration Plan is improving streets and City owned vehicles to eliminate long-term maintenance and repairs costs. In terms of city streets, CAP provides $69 million in additional funding for improvements over the next six years.
Combined with the annual street improvement program, outside grants and CAP, Cincinnati is investing approximately $172 million to rehabilitate or resurface more than half its 2,936 total lane miles in all 52 neighborhoods by June 30, 2021. This investment will improve safety, save money, enhance the city’s business environment and raise the overall quality of life for residents.
For more information, please visit http://cincinnati-oh.gov/manager/capital-acceleration-plan-cap/
Cincinnati Streets Scheduled for Rehabilitation in Summer/Fall 2016
Kennedy Heights, Madisonville and Pleasant Ridge (All roads finished by Sept. 30.)
- Carpathia Street from East Terminus to Lester Road
- Cypress Way from South Terminus to Montgomery Road
- Davenant Avenue from East Terminus to Kinoll Avenue
- Fairway Drive from Montgomery Road to Langdon Farm Road
- Highland Drive from Lester Road to Corporation Line
- Hurd Avenue from Plainville Road to West Terminus
- Iberis Avenue from Hedge Avenue to Red Bank Road
- Indian Mound Avenue from Corporation Line to Cypress Way
- Islington Avenue from Watterson Street to La Crosse Avenue
- Kincaid Lane from South Terminus to Kincaid Road
- La Crosse Avenue from Murray Road to North Terminus
- Mapleleaf Avenue from Ridge Avenue to Lester Road
- Marmion Lane from South Terminus to Douglas Terrace
- McHugh Place from South Terminus to Montgomery Road
- Onondago Avenue from Davenant Avenue to Congreve Avenue
- Rex Avenue from South Terminus to Islington Avenue
- Solar Vista Place from East Terminus to Kennedy Avenue
- Valleyview Avenue from Davenant Avenue to Aikenside Avenue
- Verulam Avenue from South Terminus to Auten Avenue
- Vinewood Avenue from Corporation Line to Plainville Road
- Wiehe Road from Langdon Farm Road to Corporation Line
Avondale, Corryville, Evanston and North Avondale (Roads to be finished by Oct. 31 are noted in bold and by asterisk. Remainder to be finished by Nov. 30.)
- Alaska Court From Glenwood Avenue to North Terminus
- Bonaparte Avenue From Hewitt Avenue to Huron Avenue (*To finish by Oct. 31)
- Burnet Avenue From William H Taft Road to Forest Avenue
- Debbe Lane Reading Road to North Terminus (* To finish by Oct. 31)
- Dickson Avenue From Clinton Springs Ave to Mitchell Ave (* To finish by Oct. 31)
- Durrell Avenue From Victory Parkway to Gilbert Avenue (* To finish by Oct. 31)
- Forest Avenue From Reading Road Dury Avenue
- Glencross Avenue From Wedgewood Avenue to Mitchell Ave (* To finish by Oct. 31)
- Graydon Avenue From Hewitt Avenue to Huron Avenue (* To finish by Oct. 31)
- Hickman Avenue From Reading Road to Harvey Avenue
- Hickory Street From Knott Street to West Terminus
- Holloway Avenue From Fairfield Avenue to Montgomery Road (* To finish by Oct. 31)
- Holloway Court From South Terminus to Holloway Avenue (* To finish by Oct. 31)
- Huron Avenue From Bonaparte Avenue to Fairfield Avenue (* To finish by Oct. 31)
- Knott Street From Maple Avenue to Rockdale Avenue
- Lenox Lane From South Terminus to Redway Avenue (* To finish by Oct. 31)
- Maple Avenue From Reading Road to Harvey Avenue
- Marion Avenue From Winding Way to North Terminus (* To finish by Oct. 31)
- Red Bud Place From Red Bud Avenue to Rose Hill Avenue
- Spokane Avenue From Hewitt Avenue to Huron Avenue
- Vernon Place From Oak Street to Martin Luther King Jr. Drive
- Vernon Place From Vernon Place to North Terminus
- Vine Vista Place From Clinton Springs Avenue to North Terminus
- Warwick Avenue From Clinton Springs Avenue to Mitchell Avenue
Northside (Work scheduled to be finished by Dec. 1. May finish earlier, depending on weather.)
- Cosby Street From Spring Grove Avenue to Hamilton Avenue
- Mad Anthony Street From William P Dooley By Pass to Spring Grove Avenue
- North Argyle Place From South Argyle Place to Hamilton Avenue
- South Argyle Place From Hamilton Avenue to North Argyle Place
- Spring Grove Avenue From Elmore Street to Crawford Avenue
- William P. Dooley By Pass From Elmore Street to Spring Grove Avenue